30.8.07

Repairs

Well, just before going to the demonstration on Wednesday and being in the Kolonos area, and being on car, I decided to visit one of the most up-to-date Piaggio part resellers in Greece, ΘΕΟΔΩΡΑΚΗΣ (ΛΕΝΟΡΜΑΝ 159 - ΑΘΗΝΑ TEL: 210-5133449). After a chat I described him the problem and tried to show aware of the failures and the remedies. He immediately understood about my problem. His explanation was that one of the 3 springs that bind the clutch shoes together was broken and, pity, the springs were not for sell individually but together the whole clutch drum. Which meant 60 hot €uropoula, aside the tachymeter cord and wire. Total, 65 euro. Without the workshop cost. The repair will be done by a trustful old mechanic in Koropi, Kostas, since he is very close at home and work. It won 't be necessary to have it to the shop for a couple of days, but only for one morning. Also, having no experience of replacing such parts and lacking a torque key (δυναμόκλειδο), a single mistake on mounting would produce an even bigger problem.
Kostas is a trustful guy, yet very odd. The first time I visited him was a year and a half before. When he saw my Vespa he almost threw me out of the shop, refusing even to look at it, since it was long time that he had stop reparing Vespas, due to the further complication of their parts after the years he was training in Pisa, Piaggio 's factory of the legendary scooters. After a while and understanding that I was desperate, he gave in and took the scooter for repairs.
I talked with him on the phone, trying to arrange a rendezvous for the next week. He told me that the clutch drum that I bought was useless, he could find some spring to replace the broken one. I doubt about it, but next week we 'll see...